Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rocky

I was bored last night so I decided I would watch another movie. After rummaging through my box of DVDs, I found the Best Picture winner from 1976, Rocky. I thought I had seen it but I hadn't; I had seen Rocky IV and Rocky Balboa. So I thought it was time to finally see the often referenced movie.

I was born in Philly and I am a frequent visitor there so I am a little biased. I have run up the stairs of the museum with my hands in the air. I have eaten at Pat's many, many times. So I wanted to love Rocky.

I liked it I usually like sports movies and I do like boxing and boxing movies. I even took it up for a week after reading The Power of One this summer. But I didn't LOVE it. I know the whole thing in the end was that he lost the fight but still got the girl, but I was wishing for the win and came away a little disappointed that he lost after working so much harder than Apollo Creed (btw the whole time I watched the movie, all I could think of was Happy Gilmore's Chubs when I saw him). There was barely any boxing in it, and it was relatively slow the first hour of the movie.

Me as Rocky

1976: Russia, Olympics, a time where the underdog was very relateable. It was a low budget film about an underdog and it was an underdog at the Oscars. I'm not sure it was the Best Picture that year, but I'm glad it won; everyone loves an underdog.

But I'm not sure I love it enough to give it an A. I'll give it a B- and a 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment