Saturday, March 5, 2011

Toy Story 3

Starting off fresh and new. I know this isn't exactly the "old classics" I was talking about but it is a critically acclaimed movie coming hot off a "Best Animated Film" oscar and it's already showing up on top movie lists. I also was watching it today so I might as well do it now.

I have a biased skew towards Toy Story 3: it has nostalgic value for me. I grew up with Toy Story, so it hits home more than it would for a 45 year old film critic. So I am part of the target audience for the most part on this one.

However, I didn't love Toy Story 3. Not nearly as much as 1 or 2. Not as much as The Incredibles, Wall-E, Up, or Finding Nemo. I did love it, like I love all Pixar movies, but it wasn't my fave. I still love the characters whom I grew up with and their adventures, but still not as much as its predecessors.

I'll admit: I was scared of Toy Story 3. That freaking monkey, oh my god. I do suffer from primateaphobia (or whatever), but how does a little kid not cry from that thing? And big baby? Holy god! Scary as hell! And even lotso is villainous to me. I can't imagine enjoying that movie as a kid.

I'll admit: I cried. Not only after the scary monkey, but at the end. It was a beautiful, full circle ending and blissfully happy. My mom cried. My sister cried. Everyone in the theatre was crying.

I'll admit: I liked it better the second time (today). I knew when to look away from the monkey, which helped. But it was still dark and sinister at times.

I liked it... I guess. It was scary, sad, funny, and a good ending to an amazing trilogy. It deserved best animated picture without a doubt. But I didn't get that satisfactory, fuzzy feeling after I saw it. The song in the credits that won best original score deserves a nod because it was fantastic. It just seemed to dark for a children's movie.

I'll give it a B or a 3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment